Sunday, February 15, 2009

There is still some compassion in the world

Sorry not coupon related today.

On Saturday, my family and I loaded up in the Subaru and headed toward Fletcher. Our goal was to go to Frugal Backpacker and check out their sale, then on to my in-laws to pick up a pantry cabinet and back by the grocery to get ready for the Daytona 500 (For us the 500 is bigger than the Super Bowl). We decided to take the back roads to see the scenery and shave a few minutes off of our trip. While we were driving down Terry's Gap road, jamming to the 80s music and all of a sudden we have no engine power in the car. After reacting quickly and safely getting off the road, we realized that we had probably lost the timing chain in the engine. I called Alicia first (she is always my saving grace), and asked her to at least come and get my son while we waited for help to come with the car.

While we were waiting, we had at least 10 to 15 different people stop and ask if we needed help, offered us the use of a cell phone, or just check on our well being. It struck me as we were sitting there, in this world where it seems to be "all about me", there are folks out there who are looking out for others and are willing to help.

To Tom and Alicia, thanks for 'saving' us again. To all of those who stopped to check on us, thanks for taking the time to stop and ask. And most importantly, to our mechanic Mr. Joe, a big thank you for being open on Saturday, and please take good care of my baby.



I will let you know how it all turns out................

1 comment:

  1. several years ago I was driving to the beach for a friend's wedding and my timing belt broke on I-26, just outside of Newberry, SC. I was "lucky" that there was an accident up ahead and a state trooper stopped and told me he'd be right back to help me. Not another person stopped. I called my fiance at the time and he didn't even want to help. My mom offered to come get me and my best friend ended up driving out of her way to pick me up. I'm VERY glad that there are nice people in the world and they offered to help you yesterday! (I later ditched the fiance, but kept my best friend of 18 years!)

    ReplyDelete