Thursday, February 26, 2009

Benifits of a FoodSaver

I got the most wonderful Christmas present this year. It was a FoodSaver V2060 Vacuum Sealing System, and I love it.

Having a small family, there are times when we make dinner and we always have something left over. It gets put into the fridge, and no one ever eats it and we end up throwing it away. Spaghetti sauce is the #1 item that comes to mind. Those days are behind us now. We now seal it in a bag, and throw it in the freezer for the next time.

FoodSaver use plastic bags that are pre-made, or you can customize the size of the bag with a FoodSaver roll. With this system you have the option of vacuum sealing the bags or just heat sealing them leaving the air in the bags. This system also has bowl and canisters that have the vacuum sealing lids for left overs, lunch or bulk sealing.


So far we have used our sealer almost everyday.
Here are some of the highlights:
Bulk Rice
(I bought a 25lb bag of Jasmine rice and was able to split it into smaller ammounts for later use)
Spaghetti Sauce
Whole Chicken (I found them on sale at Ingles and could not resist)
Ground Turkey Meat (we use ground turkey instead of hamburger)

For the Daytona 500 we fixed BBQ Short Ribs, and oh my were they good. We mixed our BBQ sauce the night before, and added the ribs to the bag, vacuum sealed it and let it marinate( vacuum sealing opens the pores of the meat allowing the sauce to get into the meat and make it more tender) overnight. Those were the best ribs we have ever done, and I didnt have a pan of ribs and sauce sitting in my fridge waiting for someone to spill.

If you ever get the chance, I highly recommend the FoodSaver system.

1 comment:

  1. My mom has a FoodSaver and we usually buy her more canisters for Christmas. She uses it all. the. time. She stores tortilla chips in one of the canisters :) I'm anxious to get one myself, but it might not happen until this summer.

    ReplyDelete