Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Just a Question

I stopped by Ingles yesterday to pick up my 'stock up item' Hamburger Helper meals (10 for $10) and on my way out I passed by the wine area. I finally noticed the hang tags there that I had read about on SavvyDollar. Hang tags are coupons that are hung on the bottles of wine that offer coupons for future purchases. The hopes of the two companies is that you will see the cpn and feel compelled to buy that second item. The ones I saw were for Dove Chocolate, Flowers and Bakery Goodies.

You also can find coupons stuck on items all over the store that are for that item or another related item (these are referred to as peelies).

My question is had I wanted to purchase Dove Chocolate and not the wine, is it ok to remove the hanging coupon from the bottle to use, or is that stealing? I have read about cpn shoppers who have cleaned an area out of hanging coupons if it was a really good deal (the one I read about was a discount on steaks or some type of dinner meat). I will admit that I have been tempted to pull off a peelie if I knew that there was a better deal at another store (Walgreen's had $1.00 off 2 12pk Pepsi cans peelies from their grand opening but CVS and Rite Aid had better prices on cases), but I just could not bring myself to do it. Pepsi product cpns are extremely hard to come by, and I am a Dt. Pepsi-aholic.

Is pulling peelies and hanging tag coupons stealing?

1 comment:

  1. Oww, a question like that this early in the morning! My head hurts...Well, on the one hand, when the companies put out the coupons the goal is for them to be used, but on the other hand, they probably want them to be used with the product they're placed on. But on the other hand, they want the coupons to be used...etc.. Now I need to go back to bed.

    ReplyDelete