Monday, August 31, 2009

A great website for those garden veggies you are wanting to 'put up'

As a kid, I can remember spending the summer with my Grandmother, working in her garden in the morning, and then preparing all the veggies to be saved for later use. My favorite had to be the green beans. Stringing them and snapping them, to this day, I still love it. But as a child ( I started spending the summers with her when I was 6) I did not pay close enough attention as to how she did all those things. I regret that today. I remember canning tomatoes, green beans, pickles, and freezing green beans, peaches and squash. I just cant remember all the steps involved with doing any of those things now. Sadly my Grandmother has passed, so I do not have her to turn to now.

So, when given a bag of garden fresh green beans, I turned to the Web. I found a really cool site called PickYourOwn.org. This site covers freezing, and canning as well as almost anything else you would want to know. They even include as you go photos.

I am proud to say, I have frozen 15 cups of green beans, vacuum sealed in 2 cup packages (one had 3 cups). I plan on going by the farmers market this weekend and see if I cant get some more green beans to put up for the winter. My boys love green beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment