Sunday, April 24, 2011

Not promising anything

With the new TLC show Extreme Couponing (Wednesday nights on TLC at 9 and 9:30 pm), couponing has been the topic of conversation several times over the past couple of weeks. I have been getting, and clipping coupons for a while, but I have not been sorting or using them like I should. Or to put it out there, I have been wasting my time and money. Not anymore. It only takes scoring a freebie or two to get my couponing blood flowing! Free Nivea body wash last night did it (4-17 coupon for $3 off Nivea body wash -- free at WalMart after cpn)!

Extreme Couponing has been really great about showing the stock piles the featured couponers have built up. While I understand some of their stock piles, Yes, even I have a hard time explaining the thousands of tubes of tooth paste the one guy had. Stockpiling is getting and having extras on hand of those items that you need in a household. Paper towels, bath room tissue and cleaning supplies. Items that you would pay full price for if you stopped at the store for at the last minute. I mean honestly, how many times have you called your husband/wife/room mate and said "pick up some toilet paper on your way home". I am honest, I have done it.

Moderation is the key. Once you get a comfortable amount (of course my comfortable amount may be different from someone elses......I know) you stop. Or you donate. Food banks love food donations, but they have need for paper and cleaning procducts too. Or share with friends and family who dont coupon. "Pass It On" or "Pay It Forward" for lack of another way of putting it.

The nice things about stock piles is they will get you through tough times. My stock pile of 14 bottles of shampoo.........well we opened the last bottle of my stock pile last week. 2 yrs, not too bad.

Sunday afternoons and Monday nights are my scheduled couponing deal research time. Like a job, because this will pay me in the long run. I will be posting deals as I find them. Hope they helps others as well!

Happy Couponing

1 comment: