Thursday, October 28, 2010

NHHS Marching Band........WOW have things changed


August the 9th a new oddsey started in the Corbin household. That was the first day of Rookie Marching band camp. My son (a rising Freshman at North Henderson High School) was one of the rookies to attend. Little did I know then just how much our lives were going to change.

From then until the day before school started my son was out on the practice field learning to march, and learning this year's competition program. The 2010 Marching KNIGHTS are performing a half-time show based on the 2000 movie Gladiator (starring Russell Crowe). After school started I watch as they practice 4 days a week after school for at least 2 hours a day.


Photo from the Hendersonville Times News of the
North Henderson High School marching band practicing

Each day we have watched this group of teenagers come together and become more and more of a family. Supporting each other and cheering each other on, in good times and in bad.

I have watched as my son learned to march with his Sousaphone (and even run with it during their third song). I have watched as he emerged from a shell that I could never quite crack and learn to enjoy his music, his instrument and his new set of friends/family. I have watched him shed some weight because of the long hours of practice, and I have watched him as he has become a part of this unique team of students.

Our lives have become centered around Friday Night Football at North, and Saturday marching competitions. The Marching Knights even hosting their own competition earlier this month. The main thought going through my head........wow have things changed since I was in high school. I was (and will forever be) an Asheboro High School Blue Comet! I played the Clarinet and we marched in the parades in town and half-time for the football games. But we never marched in a "Marching Competition". We were a Concert competition band, with a long stream of consecutive Superior ratings that dated back to when my Dad went to Asheboro High School. This has truly been a learning experience for me.

The Marching KNIGHTS will enter their last competition this Saturday at North Buncombe. I can honestly say that I have been amazed with their progress, in such a short amount of time. I have also watched as all of the hard work they put into their band has paid off.

Over the coming days I plan to put more photos up of my Marching KNIGHT! I only hope he knows just how proud of him I really am.

To the Marching KNIGHTS -- Good Luck this weekend. Be proud of yourselves and the work you have put into your program.

No comments:

Post a Comment