Saturday, May 14, 2011

Why Stockpile

Stockpiling is building up your supply of items that you and your family use regularly.

Your ultimate goal is to stock pile by using coupons and sales to get the very best deal, and ultimately get the items for free, or at least as little out of pocket expense as possible. By doing this you ensure that you have enough items on hand to last until that item goes on sale again, and/or a coupon comes out for it.

As a rule, the sales cycles tend to run every 4 to 6 weeks. So if your favorite tooth paste is on sale this week, and with your coupons you get it free then you need to make sure that you have enough to last you and your family until the sale comes around again so you can stock up for the next cycle. In some cases this may be just one of that item, or you may need to keep several on hand, only time will tell.

Stockpiling does not happen over night!

It will take on average 6 to 12 weeks to build your stockpile. The best tip I have found, “Set aside a certain amount each month, use it until it is gone for just stock items.” For me, I use my ECBs and RRs to be able to extend my ‘stocking’ $$. By using ECBs and RRs, and planning very carefully, I can continue ‘stocking’ all month long.

Each bottle of shampoo (that none of which have I paid more than $0.50--most of which has been free), each tube of tooth paste (most of which has been free) and container of dish detergent (none of which have I paid more than $0.50 ea. for) represents anywhere from $1.99 to $4.00 that I have not had to spend, which in turn has been put back into my food budget--allowing me to stock up there as well. We have also been able to start saving for a stand up freezer which will allow us even more opportunities to stock up.

Our goal, is to have enough food and staple items stocked in our home to last us 4 to 6 weeks with out having to buy anything except perishable items (Milk, Bread, fresh Fruits and Vegetables).

No comments:

Post a Comment